Forest Hill Cemetery in Ann Arbor, Michigan is a 65 acre cemetery founded in 1857. Civil engineer James L. Glen designed the cemetery in the rural or garden style popular in the second half of the 19th century. The cemetery's main gate was designed by James Morwich in the Gothic Revival style. Gordon W. Lloyd, a prominent architect from nearby Detroit, Michigan, designed the cemetery's gatehouse and sexton's residence, also in the Gothic Revival style.

In 1859 Dr. Benajah Ticknor was the first person to buried in Forest Hill. Ticknor was a surgeon for the US Navy and was also the owner of what is now Cobblestone Farm in Ann Arbor.

Prior to the establishment of the cemetery, Chi Psi fraternity built the nation's first fraternity building (a hunting lodge) on the site in 1849.



Websites

Notable persons interred at Forest Hills

Nearby LocalWiki regions: Canton, MI Detroit Windsor Toledo Grand Rapids Cleveland

LocalWiki is a grassroots effort to collect, share and open the world’s local knowledge. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Learn more.

Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. See Copyrights.