St. Augustine of Canterbury Anglican Church at its present site. St. Augustine of Canterbury Anglican Church when it was at Fifth and Broadway (MLSC)

Location
228 Salem
Third and Salem
Phone
(530) 894-7409
Sundays Services
8:00 a.m. - Early Low Mass
9:00 a.m. - Bible Study & Sunday School
10:30 a.m. Sung Holy Eucharist
Wednesday Services
5:30 p.m. Holy Eucharist
7:00 p.m. Adult Bible Prayer Group
Website
http://www.staugustinechico.com/
Architect
Arthur B. Benton of Los Angeles
Construction/Dedication
January 21, 1905

The St. Augustine of Canterbury Anglican Church (in the church building formerly St. John the Evangelist Episcopal Church) is a church at the northwest corner of Third and Salem. The building was formerly located at the southeast corner of Fifth and Broadway where the Midtown Post Office is now located. In 1912 the building was moved to its present location. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In 1982 the land was deconsecrated and sold to Bill and Amy Pang. The building became the home to the Dynasty Chinese restaurant and the Shell Cove dance club. In 1994, St. Augustine's bought the property out of foreclosure and reconstructed the church, so that in 1995 the land was reconsecrated and turned back into a church.

[History of a Centennial Monument]

Nearby LocalWiki regions: Orland Yuba-Sutter Nevada County Redding Woodland Sacramento

LocalWiki is a grassroots effort to collect, share and open the world’s local knowledge. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Learn more.

Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. See Copyrights.

Map data CC-BY-SA OpenStreetMap. Map tiles via MapBox.