Everett's Clothing Store was established at 25 Broadway in 1905 by Fred Everett shortly after he moved to Saranac Lake. Later, the business was moved to 45 Broadway. The store emphasized affordable quality. It was also the official local outlet for Boy Scout and Cub Scout uniforms, handbooks and merit badges.
Adirondack Daily Enterprise, March 1,1954
Everett's Is Entering 50th Business Year
Many businesses have come and gone in Saranac Lake but Everett's Clothing Store, which opened here in 1905, is entering its 50th year of operation today.
In April, 1938, Mr. Everett moved his shop to 45 Broadway, its present site. He continued taking an active hand in the business until his death in 1944.
In 1944 Mr. Everett's son, Dorchester, assumed proprietorship. He had been associated with his father in business since 1920. Few changes have been made during the passing years in the type of stock handled by Everett's. They have always carried a complete line of men and boys' clothing.
In the old days, of course, much merchandise was designed for lumberjacks who were more numerous in the area. The shelves held river driving boots and calked boots; those spiked to ride logs with. Lumberjack customers didn't waste much time in those days fussing with anything fancy. When they bought a pair of pants they stagged them right then and there at the shop. Stagging is a process by which the men would take a knife or scissors and cut off the pant legs just above the boot line, so they would not interfere with their work.
At one time Everett's carried women's shoes, a line which has since been dropped.
Dorchester Everett was born in Watertown but came to Saranac Lake when he was a very young boy. He was graduated from the Saranac Lake High School.
In 1923 he married the former Elizabeth Careen Mitchell at a ceremony performed at Thousand Island Park, the bride's home. The couple have made their home in Saranac Lake ever since. They have two daughters, Mrs. William Root, Jr. of Spuyten Duyvil New York City, and Miss Nancy Everett, a senior at Potsdam State Teachers College. There is also one grandson James Stephen Root.
- Gallos, Philip L., Cure Cottages of Saranac Lake, Historic Saranac Lake, 1985, p. 69. ISBN 0-9615159-0-2