Camping has been a major part of the Adirondacks since before Europeans came to the area, and one form of "camping" involves the creation of a permanent camp. Camps have ranged from open-faced lean-tos to elaborate and luxurious (though always "rustic") compounds recently labeled "Great Camps".

Great camps were grandiose family compounds of cabins that were built in the latter half of the nineteenth century on lakes in the Adirondacks. The camps were summer homes for the wealthy, where they could relax, host or attend parties, and enjoy the wilderness. In time, however, this was accomplished without leaving the comforts of civilization behind; some great camps even contained a bowling alley or movie theatre.

The style of the Great Camps was influenced by the British Arts and Crafts Movement and the related American Craftsman style as well as by Swiss chalet design. William West Durant, an early developer of the camps, was familiar with all three styles and adapted them to local materials and the skills of craftsmen.

Camp Cobblestone A boat house at Camp Topridge Birch Island boat landing 1886. Stokes Records, vol I, after p. 230; also in Camp Chronicles, p. 38. The boathouse at Knollwood Club. The front of one of the cottages can be seen on the extreme left. A covered walkway at Prospect Point Examples of various historic camps include:

On Lake Kiwassa

On Oseetah Lake

On Lower Saranac Lake:

At Santa Clara:

On Upper St. Regis Lake:

On Upper Saranac Lake:

On Spitfire Lake:

On Osgood Pond:


Plattsburgh Press, May 29, 1906

Many of the yearly visitors to the Adirondacks are already at the Riverside inn, where they will remain for a few weeks before re-opening their camps on the different lakes in the neighborhood. It is prophesied by the hotel, men that this will be a record season for summer business. All the large houses in the village and on the outskirts have been thoroughly renovated during the past month.


Malone Farmer, June 17, 1903

ADIRONDACK CAMPS.

Some New Ones—Some Greatly Improved.

A Paul Smith's dispatch of recent date says:

"There has been much building by the owners of private camps along the lakes of the St. Regis Chain this spring, and a lively interest is manifest in the rental of furnished camps and cottages and in the securing of accommodations at Paul Smith's Hotel.

"George H. Earle, of Philadelphia, who bought the camp of Mrs. E. C. Brooks, of New York, on Spitfire Lake last year, has recently completed many improvements. All of the new buildings are or stone. The main structure is octagonal, while the sleeping apartments are in a long building, the walls being of stone two feet thick.

"In the H. McK. Twombly camp on the Upper St. Regis Lake, purchased by F. W. Vanderbilt a year ago, have been erected three Japanese buildings for sleeping apartments. The work is being done by Japanese carpenters, and will be finished for the coming of the Vanderbilts in July.

"Extensive improvements are being made to the camp of Mr. and Mrs. C. H. McCormick, on Upper St. Regis Lake, for the accommodation of Mrs. McCormick's father, John D. Rockefeller, who will spend the summer there.

The Pearl Island camp of Anson Phelps Stokes has been leased for the summer by Walter Ferguson, of New York. At Birch Island Mr. Stokes is having two new boathouses constructed.

"Dr. Walter B. James, of New York, who purchased the Schlessinger camp on Upper St. Regis Lake two years ago, has added several new buildings. An interesting feature is the use of old fence boards in the interior and in doors and other places quickly noticed by the eye, with the object of giving the camp a weathered and rustic appearance. Another feature of the James camp is the winter building, the exterior of which is of two by six inch beams ship-lapped.

"A new camp has been built in South Bay, Upper Saranac Lake, for Thomas Sturgis of New York, the fire commissioner. Mr. Sturgis has been stopping at the Inn for some time this spring.

"Among the several new buildings in construction along Upper Saranac Lake is a camp for Levi P. Morton on his Eagle Island property. Last fall Mr. Morton sold his camp, Pine Brook, near the Wawbeek, to Mitchell A. Cass Levy, of New York, and Mr. Levy has leased it to Mr. and Mrs. Percy R. Pyne. There are seven buildings in the new Morton camp, which consists of a family lodge, dining room, Mrs. Morton's lodge, guests' cabin, laundry, guide house, &c. Shingles are used on all the exteriors. A feature of the interior of the dining room, which is finished in peeled spruce, is what is called an umbrella in the ceiling. Timbers center here from each of the eight angles of the room, the center post being fourteen inches in diameter and supported by trusses in the roof.

"Dan R. Hanna, son of Mark Hanna, has a new cottage on Ampersand Bay, near the Algonquin, and on the same shore a new cottage has been built for Otis L. Williams, of New York."

Other historic properties

Comments


2012-05-10 06:17:35   nice post... —59.164.1.140


2012-06-01 11:07:46   Boulder Island —76.27.150.181

Boulder Island was an unofficial name for Corey Island in Upper Saranac Lake.  Or is there another one elsewhere? -- Users/MWanner

Nearby LocalWiki regions: Montréal Arlington Massachusetts Historic Rock Island Syracuse Hudson Valley Ithaca

LocalWiki is a grassroots effort to collect, share and open the world’s local knowledge. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Learn more.

Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. See Copyrights.