Address: 98 Shepard Avenue

Old Address: 24/26 Shepard Avenue

Other Names: National Vaudeville Artists Cottage; Kennedy Cottage (1911-1920s); Denn Cottage (1929); Dora Cottage (Dore) (1929); Wooster Cottage (1930); Masters Cottage (1931); Dallas (1948); Wood Cottage (1949); DIS. An early, but undated, map (probably circa 1911 or later) shows number 26 Shepard Avenue noted as "A. G. Kennedy."

Year built: 1897

A large, relatively unaltered Queen Anne cure cottage. There are three attached cure porches: a glassed-in, wrap-around porch on the Shepard Street elevation; an 8 by 10-foot porch at the rear of the house, glazed on three sides; and a second-floor porch above the wrap-around porch that is also glazed on three sides. A fourth porch extends across the entire width of the rear; it is presently enclosed.

It was registered as a private sanatorium operated as a boarding cottage by A.G. Kennedy. The National Vaudeville Artists Philanthropic Association sent sponsored patients to the cottage prior to the construction of the Will Rogers Hospital. According to the 1916 TB Directory, the Kennedy Cottage, run by Mrs. A.G. Kennedy, had room for ten patients, had two cure porches and charged $12-25 per week.

This cottage was operated by Stuart and Ann Dallas.

In the late years of the 20th century, Mr. and Mrs. Stehl lived in this house; Mr. Stehl ran a picture frame shop here.

Other historic properties

Sources

Comments

Nearby LocalWiki regions: Montréal Arlington Massachusetts Historic Rock Island Syracuse Finger Lakes Hudson Valley

LocalWiki is a grassroots effort to collect, share and open the world’s local knowledge. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Learn more.

Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. See Copyrights.

Map data CC-BY-SA OpenStreetMap. Map tiles via MapBox.