History

Just east of Schellville in the sloughs along Sonoma Creek is Sonoma Valley's ghost town of Wingo, CA . Originally known as Norfolk by the men and women who navigated the waterways, it is now known by the name used by the Sonoma Valley Railroad. Wingo once was a bustling train station for visitors arriving by steam boat from San Francisco, though now is just a cluster of cabins, workshops, barns and a train trestle.

Current

Wingo is now part of the San Pablo Bay National Wildlife Refuge. The ghost town has been in the same family since the 1950's and the owner has a cabin there.

Wingo can only be reached by foot as automobiles are prohibited.

Directions

  • Starting at the Sonoma Plaza, head south on Broadway.
  • At the T-intersection cross Highway 121/Freemont Drive/Carneros Highway to Millerick Road.
  • Follow the country road through the sloughs to the gate and bird sanctuary sign.
  • Park and continue on foot a half-mile to the train trestle to Wingo.

See Also

References

Nearby LocalWiki regions: Vallejo Richmond, CA Tiburon Peninsula, Belvedere and Angel Island Vacaville San Francisco Berkeley

LocalWiki is a grassroots effort to collect, share and open the world’s local knowledge. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Learn more.

Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. See Copyrights.

Map data CC-BY-SA OpenStreetMap. Map tiles via MapBox.