Walnut Creek was originally called “The Corners,” where two roads from Lafayette and Pacheco crossed. The first settler of the area was named William Slusher. He built his home next to what was then called "Nuts Creek" in 1849. The community was first named Walnut Creek in 1862 when a post office was established. Walnut Creek became a city on October 21, 1914.