Died: June 3, 1929
Married: Lillian Ingham Walker
Dr. George Fales Baker was a financier from Philadelphia, who left an estate of nearly four million dollars in 1929. He was president of the Philadelphia Academy of Music.
Baker Cottage was built in 1893, according to the only sources we have. It was the largest of the three cottages and reported to be "...one of the luxury cottages built as part of the old hotel complex and in its heyday it rented for $2,000 per season. The first floor was divided into a kitchen, butler's pantry, and two spacious dining rooms; the upper story contained six bedrooms and three baths." FN 12 This cottage was named for Dr. Fales Baker, a surgeon on the Philadelphia Main Line. Mrs. Baker's mother lived next door in Walker Cottage (No. 12, no longer extant). The Bakers came to the hotel with one or two private railroad cars FN 13 and employed a guide, Charlie Bigelow, as camp caretaker.
New York Times, June 30, 1907
Mr. and Mrs. George Fales Baker have taken possession of their new camp in the Adirondacks. Mr. and Mrs. Goadby Loew are to visit them later.
New York Times, August 16, 1908
Mr. Bonoffon, Director of the Philadelphia Academy of Music, is a guest of Dr. and Mrs. George Fales Baker at their cottage, Hepburnwood.
New York Times, June 27, 1929
BAKER ESTATE TO WIDOW
Philadelphia Financier's Holdings Estimated at $4,000,000.
Special to The New York Times.
PHILADELPHIA, June 26.—Dr. George Fales Baker, financier, bequeathed his estate, estimated at close to $4,000,000 to his widow, the former Lillian Ingham Walker, daughter of the late William Walker of Pittsburgh, according to the terms of his will probated today.
The will suggested a plan whereby Mrs. Baker, would pay specific amounts to several institutions, during life or by will after death. Under this plan, half of the residue of the estate is to go to the Pennsylvania and University Hospitals here, and one-fourth is to go, on the death of Mrs. Baker, to the University of Pennsylvania, from which Dr. Baker received his degree of Doctor of Medicine, to endow a chair in the medical department.