Tupper Lake Free Press And Herald, December 11, 1958
(From the Files, Dec 6-18, 1912)
"OLD GUIDES AND CANOEISTS of the Adirondacks are not pleased with the closing of the old Indian Carry, from the head of Upper Saranac Lake to the Raquette River, used by the Indians as a carry long before the first white man set foot In these woods, and which guides and boatmen have come to regard as public domain. Rustic Lodge stood at the Saranac end of the trail. The boathouse has been torn down and the laundry and grocery are being razed to the ground. The main building will soon follow. On this site there once stood an ancient Indian village. The Corey family made Rustic Lodge famous many years ago, and more recently Charles H. Wardner operated it for 17 years. The Messrs Swenson of New York, who acquired the property some years ago, have built a new road around it, terminating at a new dock to divert traffic from the Rustic dock. The landing place is too shallow to please those who use launches, and the road is longer than the old one and has not been used by canoeists. A barrier has recently been built, however, across the ancient carry road". .