Park Location
850 Branciforte Drive, Santa Cruz, CA 95060-1605
Size
35 acres.
Established
1900.
Hours
7 am - sunset.
Website
DeLaveaga Park
Phone
(831) 420-5270 (reservations)

DeLaveaga park map

History

The park is named after Jose Vincente DeLaveaga, a businessman who lived during the mid to late 1800's. The area where DeLaveaga park now stands was the land was the site of his former vacation home. The land used to house many horse stables, exotic plants and a small zoo. His estate was willed to different non-profit organizations upon DeLaveaga's death, and after a brief legal fiasco, the parcel of land where the park currently stands was legally bequeathed to the city of Santa Cruz.

The Glen Canyon Covered Bridge (no longer there) that crossed the Branciforte Creek was moved near the entrance to the park in 1939.

Features

Amenities

  • Restrooms
  • Playground equipment
  • Parking
  • Drinking fountains
  • Bocci ball courts
  • Payphone (between the softball diamonds)
  • Volleyball courts
  • Soccer area
  • Softball diamonds
  • Picnic areas
  • Barbeque pits
  • Trails
  • Horseshoe pits

Natural Features

Picnic Sites

Forty Thieves

Maximum capacity: 100

Maple Grove

Maximum capacity: 250

Twisted Tree

Maximum capacity: 225

Cathedral

Maximum capacity: 225

Lone Tree

Maximum capacity: 180

Rules

  • Speed limit is 15 mph.
  • Picnic areas can be used by reservation only.
  • Alcohol may only be consumed at reserved, designated picnic sites.
  • Dogs must be leashed.
  • No excessive noise or music.
  • No littering.

Nearby DeLaveaga Recreation Sites

Related Links

Nearby LocalWiki regions: San Jose, California Santa Clara Fremont California Alameda San Francisco Berkeley

LocalWiki is a grassroots effort to collect, share and open the world’s local knowledge. We are a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Learn more.

Except where otherwise noted, this content is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License. See Copyrights.

Map data CC-BY-SA OpenStreetMap. Map tiles via MapBox.